Catullus, Gaius Valerius (ca. 84 - 55 a.C.n.)
The Carmina by Catullus contained in this codex was written in a humanistic cursive, attributed to the calligrapher Ludovico Regio di Imola. The frontispiece in grisaille with gold highlights is framed by motifs in the manner of antiquity with trophies, sphinxes and mascarons, while the title in gold letters stands out from the crimson background. At the bottom of the page, the coat of arms on a disc held by two putti is overlaid in the same crimson color.
Online Since: 12/13/2013
- Catullus, Gaius Valerius: Carmina Found in: Standard description
- Catullus, Gaius Valerius: Carmina (f. 1-61)
Incipit: Quoi dono Lepidum nouum libellum
Explicit: Affixus nostris tu dabis suppplicium.
- Bodmer, Martin (Former possessor) | Catullus, Gaius Valerius (Author) | Cockerell, Sydney Carlyle (Former possessor) Found in: Standard description
This late Renaissance Italian humanist manuscript contains excerpts of various works by Latin and Greek authors, among them Pliny, Cicero, Silius Italicus, Plautus, Livy, Horace, Sallust, Plutarch, Seneca and others. Pellegrin, following Tammaro de Marinis, attributes the writing to the copyist Gian Marco Cinico, who worked for the kings of Naples between 1458 and 1494. The different parts are introduced by golden initials with bianchi girari, only partly completed (ff. 1v, 4v, 20r, 22r, 50r, 186v). Some of these bianchi girari are left unfilled on a blue, red, green or black background, others are colored pink, green or blue on a black or golden background. The vine scrolls are inhabited by putti and animals such as rabbits, stags, butterflies or birds. Numerous frames show putti engaged in hunting or other playful activities (e.g., ff. 55r, 79r, 139r, 169r).
Online Since: 12/17/2015
- Catullus, Gaius Valerius: Carmina (f. 156v-157) Found in: Standard description
- Bodmer, Martin (Former possessor) | Catullus, Gaius Valerius (Author) | Cicero, Marcus Tullius (Author) | Cinico, Giovan Marco (Scribe) | Claudianus, Claudius (Author) | Heilbrun, Georges (Seller) | Hieronymus, Sophronius Eusebius (Author) | Hippocrates (Author) | Horatius Flaccus, Quintus (Author) | Livius, Titus (Author) | Ovidius Naso, Publius (Author) | Plautus, Titus Maccius (Author) | Plinius Secundus <Iunior> (Author) | Plutarchus (Author) | Rinutius, Aretinus (Translator) | Sallustius Crispus, Gaius (Author) | Seneca, Lucius Annaeus (Author) | Silius Italicus, Tiberius Catius Asconius (Author) | Vergilius Maro, Publius (Author) | Vitruvius (Author) Found in: Standard description