Benedictus XII, Papa (1285-1342)
This small, thick paper and parchment manuscript from the library of the Carthusian Monastery of Basel must have been intensely used, as suggested by soiling and signs of heavy usage. The original red leather binding is covered with another layer of leather that sticks out beyond the covers at the bottom and can be folded over the lower edge as protection. The manuscript contains prayers, hymns and other devotional texts by numerous different authors — primarily saints and popes — such as Mechthild of Magdeburg or Bernard of Clairvaux. Also represented are Carthusian authors such as Heinrich Arnoldi. Several colored woodcut and metalcut prints have been glued onto leaf 4v and 316v.
Online Since: 12/14/2018
- Benedictus XII, Papa: Oratio (244r-245v)
Incipit: Culter qui circumcidisti sacrosanctam carnem Christi
Explicit: tu cordium illustrator da salutis gaudia amen.
- Anselm von Canterbury (Author) | Benedictus XII, Papa (Author) | Benedictus, de Nursia (Author) | Bernardinus, Senensis (Author) | Bernardus, Claraevallensis (Author) | Bitz, Wilhelm (Restorer) | Bonaventura, Sanctus (Author) | Bonifatius IX., Papst (Author) | Coelestinus V., Papa (Author) | Conradus, Gemnicensis (Author) | Gregorius I, Papa (Author) | Heinrich Arnoldi (Author) | Innocentius III, Papa (Author) | Innocentius IV, Papa (Author) | Johannes XXII., Papst (Author) | Ludolphus, de Saxonia (Author) | Mechthild, von Magedeburg (Author) | Thomas, Becket (Author) Found in: Standard description
This small-format parchment volume from the Carthusian Monastery of Basel is composed of three originally separate fascicles. The first is decorated with three initials (1r, 53r, 58r) and contains the Stimulus dilectionis by Eckbert of Schönau along with prayers, Penitential Psalms and a Litany of the Saints. This is followed by the fragment of a prayer book, which is missing the beginning as well as the end. The third part contains a compilation from Bonaventure's Soliloquium and Hugh of St. Victor's De vanitate mundi. The heavy soiling of pp. 24-53 (Agenda defunctorum and Penitential Psalms) should be noted; it indicates intensive use of this part of the codex.
Online Since: 10/04/2018
- Benedictus XII, Papa (Author) Found in: Standard description
- Ambrosius, Mediolanensis (Author) | Beda, Venerabilis (Author) | Benedictus XII, Papa (Author) | Bitz, Wilhelm (Restorer) | Bonaventura, Sanctus (Author) | Ecbertus, Schonaugiensis (Author) | Gregorius I, Papa (Author) | Heinrich Arnoldi (Librarian) | Hugo, de Sancto Victore (Author) | Innocentius III, Papa (Author) | Johannes, Fiscannensis (Author) | Louber, Jakob (Librarian) | Moser, Urban (Librarian) | Thomas, de Aquino (Author) | Urban V., Papst (Author) | Vullenhoe, Heinrich von (Scribe) Found in: Standard description
This spiritual handbook contains assorted German texts: a translation of the Gospel of Nicodemus and a communion devotion together with Dominican funeral rites and mystic texts about Christ's Passion. The manuscript originated in the third quarter of the 15th century in the area of the Upper Rhine and was originally the property of the Dominican convent in Bern (Inselkloster St. Michael). After the Reformation, at the end of the 16th century, the manuscript was acquired by the Solothurn City Library (Bibliotheca civitatis).
Online Since: 12/21/2009
- Benedictus XII, Papa: Ablassgebet, Papst Benedikt XII zugeschrieben (185v-186v)
Incipit: Dis gebetlin machte der Babest Benedictus…Ich bitte dich min aller gemiltester here
Explicit: mir wellest helfen zů einem gůtten ende. Amen
- Anselm von Canterbury (Author) | Benedictus XII, Papa (Author) | Bernardus, Claraevallensis (Author) | Innocentius IV, Papa (Author) | Seuse, Heinrich (Author) Found in: Standard description